A not so well known French dessert that is sweet and tastes of custard. Far Breton is a decadent dessert that I made after being inspired by a program I recently watched about France.

I was pleasantly surprised with the turn out and can comfortably say that this is easy to make and does not require a master baker to create. This traditional dish from the Provance, Brittany is served warm or cold. A baked custard essentially that is cut into squares and sold in every bakery and movie theatre.

As this Far Breton dessert is quite sweet you need not serve large portions and can easily be served with some home made vanilla ice-cream to break the intense sweetness.

Ever heard of this classic French dessert? Introducing Far Breton with prunes

Pin

Print

Far Breton with prunes
5 [small]from[/small] 1 [small]vote[/small] Recipe by Melissa Jacobs
Course: DessertCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy

Servings
12servingsPrep time
15minutesCooking time
50minutesTotal time
1hour 
5minutes

A sweet custard dessert that is easy to make and quite decadent.

Ingredients

250 grams flour
100 gram sugar
7 ml vanilla essence
salt
4 eggs
1 l full cream milk
50 ml rum
200 gram dried prunes
30 ml butter

Method
Mix the dry ingredients.Add the eggs and mix wellAdd the milk, rum and vanilla ingredients graduallyGrease a oven dish with butter.Arrange the prunes on the base of the dish. Pour the mixture(very runny), over the prunes.Bake in a pre heated oven. 220 degrees for 50 minutes.Cut into squares. Dust with cinnamon.

Did you make this recipe?

Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes

Like this recipe?

Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest

Looking for more delectable dishes to make at home for your family and friends? We have excellent suggestions for you to try, just check out our recipes.