Tributes pour for celeb chef Gary Rhodes – He died aged 59, with his wife at his side_1

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The family of British celebrity chef Gary Rhodes say he has died at the age of 59 with his wife Jennie by his side…

A statement issued Wednesday by Grosvenor House Dubai and Le Royal Meridien in Dubai, where he operated restaurants, said the Rhodes family are deeply saddened to announce his passing Tuesday.

The statement did not elaborate further on the cause of death, saying only that the family thanks everyone for their support and asks for privacy.

Fellow British celebrity chefs Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver expressed their sympathies with Rhodes’ wife and children in messages on Twitter Wednesday.

The National newspaper in Abu Dhabi says Rhodes had been residing in Dubai since 2010, where he was also known for his dine-in menu at cinemas.

So sad to hear about the death of Gary Rhodes. In 2008 on my gap year I worked at his restaurant in Marble Arch to save for drama school. Gary was always so lovely. When I left to go to drama school he gave me one is his signed cookbooks, I opened it and there was £200 inside.

— Kadiff Kirwan (@kadiffkirwan) November 27, 2019

Very sad to get a message this morning from Dubai informing me of the brilliant Chef and mentor Gary Rhodes passing last night. What a shining star for British gastronomy. Rest well Chef

— Simon Hulstone (@Hulstone) November 27, 2019

We are all very sad to hear of the passing of Gary Rhodes. He was an inspirational chef and British gastronomy owes him a huge debt. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

— The MICHELIN Guide (@MichelinGuideUK) November 27, 2019

So so sad to hear about Gary Rhodes. His banana and syrup loaf was the first thing I baked all on my own. The pages are stuck together with syrup 💔 So much love to his family #garyrhodes

— Candice Brown (@CandiceBrown) November 27, 2019