Both Makro and Dis-Chem have followed suit by removing TRESemmé products from their shelves. This follows the online publication of a racially offensive hair advert that was posted by Clicks last week.
The advert, which labelled black women's hair as "dry, damaged and dull," labelled white women's hair as "normal". Outrage on social media platforms soon followed, which compelled the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) to take matters into their own hands.
The EFF took to social media soon after saying that it would visit multiple stores nationwide and that they did. In the process of shutting down stores, two were petrol bombed and others were severely vandalised leading to multiple arrests.
Since the protests this week, we have come to learn that Clicks, together with Unilever and TRESemmé were responsible for the advert. On Thursday 10 September, EFF members are having a sit down meeting with members from Unilever at their request.
MAKRO AND DIS-CHEM REMOVE TRESEMME FROM ITS SHELVES
Following Clicks, Checkers, Pick N Pay and Woolworths, Makro and Dis-Chem have now also announced that they will remove TRESemmé hair products from its shelves.
Early on Thursday morning, Makro short and sweet tweeted saying; "Makro SA has removed Tresemmé from sale at all stores."
Makro SA has removed Tresemme from sale at all stores.— Makro South Africa (@Makro_SA) September 10, 2020
Also on Thursday morning, Dis-Chem responded to another tweet saying that it could confirm the removal of TRESemmé products.
"We have confirmed that all TRESemmé products have been withdrawn from our shelves. The decision was taken on Tuesday and this has been implemented across our stores nationally," it said.
Woolworths responded to The South African saying that it took the decision to remove the products with immediate effect.
"As a company, we are deeply aware of our responsibility to confront racial prejudice and disparities when they are identified," it said.
"We do not support the racial biases expressed in the TRESemmé campaign," it added.
EFF MEET WITH UNILEVER FOLLOWING CLICKS PROTESTS
Following the release of the controversial hair campaign, change is most certainly taking place. The EFF has led mass protests in solidarity with black women, TRESemmé products are falling from shelves by the minute and now Unilever is having a one on one meeting with the EFF.
The party released a statement saying the meeting request came from Unilever — which owns TRESemmé — after the EFF gave it 24 hours to account for its offensive advert.
The meeting, which commenced at 10:00 on Thursday, has not yet revealed its outcomes but we suspect the parties involved will come to some sort of agreement.
"We state categorically that the protests of the EFF will continue as we engage these two entities and hold them accountable for their racism," the statement added.