COVID-19: Minister Thulas Nxesi discharged from hospital

The Minister of Employment and Labour Thulas Nxesi has been discharged from hospital after he was admitted for COVID-19.


In a statement on Tuesday, 28 July 2020, Cabinet Spokesperson Phumla Williams said Nxesi had tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday, 17 July 2020 and subsequently went into self-quarantine.


He checked into the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria.


"On 21 July 2020, Minister Nxesi was admitted to hospital for further medical attention and monitoring", Williams said.

Cabinet: Nxesi is on the verge of a full recovery


"Though he has been discharged from hospital, he will remain in self-quarantine until he fully recovers. The Minister, together with his family, have thanked all South Africans for the well wishes during his hospitalisation. We are also grateful that Minister Nxesi is now on his way to full recovery", Williams added.


"We take this opportunity to wish all fellow South Africans who are battling this disease well, as we also send those who have lost loved ones our sincere condolences"


On Sunday, 26 July 2020, Nxesi's Mineral Resources counterpart, Gwede Mantashe also left hospital after being admitted for the respiratory disease.


Mantashe tested positive on 14 July 2020 and went into self-quarantine, before being hospitalised after a week.


Though he has been discharged, the minister has been advised by his medical team to stay home for another seven days.


"We are grateful that Minister Mantashe is now at home with his family and on his way to a full recovery", the Presidency said.


Gauteng Premier David Makhura and his Western Cape counterpart, Alan Winde also contracted the virus, but are on the road to recovery as well.


Winde, who tested positive earlier in July, has completed his self-isolation but said he was still experiencing some of the symptoms of the disease.


"I have therefore been conducting a limited number of essential meetings from home during this period, but I am due to return to work on Monday (20 July 2020). I will continue to take precautions until I am fully recovered. I urge anyone who is Covid-19 positive, and especially those who fall into high risk groups, being over the age of 55 or with underlying illnesses, to do the same. Diabetics should also be monitoring themselves and their blood glucose levels closely", he said.