Watch: Security guard tackled at Garden Route Mall to open case

An unsavoury altercation unfolded at the Garden Route Mall in George, Western Cape on Thursday 11 June when a couple being ejected from the premises because they weren't wearing face masks allegedly assaulted an assisting security guard. 

Accusations have emerged that the incident was racially motivated. 

The incident was captured on camera, and one woman can be seen kicking the security guard, who was engaged in a shouting match with the supposedly aggrieved couple before a man launched himself at the guard with a spear tackle. 

Watch: Security guard tackled by customer: 

The security guard can be seen being pushed and shoved with a crowd forming around him and those accused of the assault. 

He is understood to have been trying to escort the couple out of the mall when the fracas ensued. 

The South African has reached out to the South African Police Service (SAPS) for comment and will update this story when it lands. 

Second incident in a month at Garden Route Mall 

Garden Route Mall issued a statement on Twitter on Thursday 12 June in which they said that the security guard had faced no repercussion and in fact would be filing a case of assault against the couple. 

"We are aware of the incident that took place on the 11th of June 2020," they wrote. 

"Kindly note that the security guard was not fired and charges were laid earlier this morning by our security firm and himself."

"The police will conduct their investigation as per the case."

They said that another incident involving a customer who was unhappy about being denied entry due to the fact that he was not wearing a mask had occurred in May too. 

"Approximately a month ago where a member of the public was arrested for assault and being in contravention of the COVID-19 Act, for not wearing a mask," they said. 

There have been a number of incidents involving people who refuse to wear masks in public spaces, with a man arrested in Richards Bay after starting a fight with a security guard at a Tops outlet earlier in June.