Second couple believed to have been killed by homemade beer

A second couple is believed to have died after drinking a deadly homemade beer concoction. 


The couple from Ocean View in Cape Town were hospitalised on Friday 15 May after they had consumed a home-brewed ginger beer

Post-mortem results outstanding  


The couple, 50-year-old Winnie and 54-year-old Malvin Afrikaner were hospitalised in False Bay in the Western Cape after they drank the high-alcohol proof beer they had brewed themselves following the prohibition of alcohol sales due to the nationwide lockdown. 


A relative, choosing to remain anonymous while speaking to The Daily Voice, said that they believed that their death was caused due to the consumption of the beer, and warned that this should be a lesson to those trying to get their fix during the lockdown. 


Police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana said that the post-mortem results were still outstanding and that the investigation would proceed when they become available. 


"The circumstances surrounding their death are being investigated by the police. Post-mortems will be conducted to determine cause of death."

Is homemade beer safe to drink? 


A couple in Port Nolith in the Northern Cape was also hospitalised for illness relating to the consumption of homemade beer. 


The woman was found dead in her home on Tuesday 5 May, while the man was writhing in pain after allegedly consuming the homemade alcohol.


Homemade beers can be made using ingredients like pineapple, ginger and sorghum but be careful, according to alcoholrehab.com, inexperienced brewers are at risk of unknowingly using harmful ingredients in their homebrews. 


"Such harmful ingredients can be lethal or cause blindness to those that drink them. In Kenya, there have been reported deaths related to the lead poisoning of drinkers of the locally brewed changaa, whose name incidentally translates as kill me quick. Makers of this beverage and other homemade alcoholic drinks around the world often add high-octane fuel or other chemicals to the mix to increase their euphoric effects," it said. 


"These ingredients, however, can cause death or irreparable damage to the drinker's vital organs. Another killer, wood alcohol, also known as methanol, can be highly toxic, causing death or blindness through damage to the optic nerve among drinkers," it added.