The Labour Court will close all its branches during the national lockdown brought on by the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced earlier in the week that the lockdown will come into effect after 23:59 on Thursday night, ending on 16 April.
No Labour Court hearings during national lockdown
This means that only essential services will remain operational and, on Thursday, the Office of the Judge President revealed that the Labour Court will join the institutions that will close down during this period.
This means that no hearings will take place during the 21-days of the national lockdown, with the matters that have already been allocated to the affected dates set to be either removed from the roll or scheduled for later dates.
There will also be no judges, or other staff members, available to receive any documents
“With regard to Urgent Court matters, parties must alert the Registrar explaining in full detail why the matter is considered to be so urgent that it must be considered in this period of lockdown. The registrar will then contact the Judge on duty who will inform the registrar whether or not s/he will consider the matter and if s/he decides to entertain the matter it will be done telephonically with the other side being duly informed by the applicant where necessary,” the Office of the Judge President said.
Earlier in the week, Minister of Employment and Labour Thulas Nxesi said his department was expecting a number of workers to claim from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) during the 21-day lockdown.
SA grappling with COVID-19 spread
The latest update issued out on COVID-19 by the Department of Health revealed that South Africa was sitting at 709 confirmed cases as of Wednesday, 25 March.
A huge chunk of these cases are from Gauteng, where 319 people have been infected.
All nine provinces have now registered at least one case, with 65 infected people not allocated to a province.
Globally, the virus has infected close to 500 000 people, claiming over 20 000 lives.