Donatella Versace: ‘No one is alone in fighting the coronavirus crisis’_1

Donatella Versace has published an emotional open letter rallying for Italy’s fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

In the message, posted on Vogue’s website, the fashion designer expressed her sadness over the current state of Milan, and her hope that the crisis will soon begin to pass.

”I have the safety and wellbeing of each and every one of you in mind,” she wrote. “The reason why I wanted to send this message is to let you know that no one is alone in fighting this battle.”

The confirmed number of Covid-19 cases in Italy is approaching 70,000, with 6,800 reported fatalities. The northern region of Lombardy is among the most afflicted areas, with medical staff struggling to cope with so many patients, and Milan – the nation’s centre of fashion and commerce – is under strict lockdown regulations until the pandemic abates.

”Milan looks like a ghost town,” the 64-year-old noted, before going on to implore people around the world to heed Italy’s tragic situation as a warning. ”I beg all of you to please listen to what your government tells you to do, to look out for one another by staying at home, and to use the technology that we all love so much to remain connected.”

And while self-isolating and practicing social distancing might not be easy right now, Donatella remains hopeful that it will make all the difference for the future of our communities.

“If we all follow these simple rules, we will overcome this virus quickly and we can all go back to rebuilding our world. And maybe this is our chance to fix a couple of things while we’re at it,” she added.

Earlier this month, Donatella and her daughter Allegra announced they would be donating $224,000 (£182,000) to the intensive care department of the San Raffaele hospital in Milan.

© Cover Media