How do I deal with my thin skin?_1

You may notice a few things in your skin that lead you to suspect you have thin skin, and you could be so right… and it’s way more common than you think!

Have you been getting way more bruises usual? And have you noticed that it takes way less than it once did to actually get a bruise? Does your skin tear really easily? Have you been noticing veins that you never used to before?

Well then, you’ve probably got thin skin, and you’re very much not alone. While the concept of thin skin may sound kind of strange, it’s actually really common, and something many of us will experience at some stage of our lives – albeit at varying degrees. But before you get weirded out, let’s take a look at exactly what thin skin entails, and how you can combat it…
Thin skin? Is this what I think it is?

Well yes, probably – the name tells us exactly what it is. Thin or fragile skin is skin that often tears, bruises or even breaks really easily, and you can often see loads of your veins and – in severe cases – even some tendons or bones (although this is much less common).
Simple enough, but why does this happen?

As we most things skin related, we mostly have the process of ageing to thank for this. The dermis layer of the skin is made up of all those great things that keep your skin plump, full, flexible, and youthful, like collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid, and because our bodies produce less and less of these as we get older, the dermis layer gets thinner and thinner. Because of this, there is less ‘padding’, which results in your skin bruising and tearing more than it once did, but it also ultimately starts to ‘crepe’ and sag.

Ask All4Women: Dr Lawn answers your most common questions about skincare ingredients

https://www.all4women.co.za/1933264/fashion-beauty/beauty/ask-all4women-dr-lawn-answers-your-most-common-questions-about-skincare-ingredients/embed#
So, we have ageing to thank for thin skin?

For the most part, yes. Collagen is the main building block in the skin to plump up the skin and prevent wrinkles and sagging, so the less we have of it, the more we will see the effects of ageing. Genetics will also determine how predisposed you are to thin skin and the overall ageing process, and that, unfortunately, none of us can help. But there are other factors too…

Essential ingredients for an effective skincare routine

https://www.all4women.co.za/1977775/fashion-beauty/beauty/essential-ingredients-for-an-effective-skincare-routine/embed#
Other factors? Tell me more…

Another big contributor to thin skin is (you probably guessed it) the sun. We all know that the sun accelerates the ageing process, causing wrinkles, sagging, age spots and the like, and thin skin is a big result, too. You’ll probably notice this on your hands more than anywhere else. Not drinking enough water and long-term exposure to certain medications can also be contributing factors.
Is there anything I can do to help my thin skin?

Of course! Sunblock and drinking plenty water are the first and easiest remedies, as is keeping your skin moisturised and not over-exfoliating or over-using harsh products on your skin. You’ll need to consult a professional, but using a retinol product and treatments like micro-needling also help, as do dermal fillers.