(By Jess Grieveson-Smith)
A head chef has created a series of baffling meals which mess with the mind…

From a fried egg on toast that’s actually lemon drizzle cake with mango puree, to a mouldy orange that’s actually liver pate with an orange glaze and meringue dust, Ben Churchill, 33, from Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, creates food that wreaks havoc with the taste buds.

Initially going viral on Instagram for a soapy dish washing sponge – that was actually a delicious olive oil cake with a lime glaze and apple puree – Ben has continued to baffle his followers.

In some of his latest work, Ben has created a cigarette tray, a sponge and a dish washer pod made entirely from cake.

Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_1
(PICTURED- The ashtray pannacotta… Vanilla pannacotta set in an ashtray, topped with smokey lapsang gel, meringue ‘ash’ and chocolate cigarette butts) Image source: Magazinefeatures.co.za
Repulsive? Or creative?

Ben said: “I began testing what I could with cake out of curiosity – some people can’t even touch them as the idea is so repulsive but others simply laugh, amazed.

“I’d worked as a chef, in pubs and restaurants and I’d been self-taught.

“I created an ash tray that looked realistic – when in actual fact, it was cigarettes, created from white chocolate mixed with golden syrup and a dash of food colouring poured into a mould.

“The ‘ash’ was meringue crumb, with an edible silver spray and just to baffle people more, I use a smokey lapsang tea syrup.

“But it’s always important to me that it tastes nice.

“Yet people found my work so realistic, they couldn’t eat it or some were even offended by it.”

Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_2
(PICTURED- Olive oil sponge, lemon foam, apple puree.) Image source: Magazinefeatures.co.za
Some people are so offended, they threaten to ‘take his page down’!

Ben has an impressive 61K followers on Instagram – but he’s still has his fair share of negativity, with people even threatening to take his page down.

He added: “I had a lady, around the time that there was a viral trend with people eating those Tide Pods, the washing pod, that was super offended.

“She said I was encouraging kids to eat soapy sponges and was truly offended by the cake – I had a few like that.

“But it got me engagement, and it also meant I put together a book on how I made all of the confusing creations.

“I created a soap that was actually a lemon mousse with flavoured shortbread and lavender syrup.

Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_3
(PICTURED- The edible soap bar – lemon mousse with flavoured shortbread and lavender syrup ) Image source: Magazinefeatures.co.za

“My burger was actually rice crispy cakes and my raw chicken breast was actually strawberry panna cotta.

Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_4
PIC BY BEN CHURCHILL / CATERS NEWS AGENCY (PICTURED- The dessert Big Mac – Victoria sponge bun, chocolate rice Krispie cake patty, chocolate, pear and a orange ganache special sauce) – A head chef has created a series of baffling meals which mess with the mind. From a fried egg on toast that’s actually lemon drizzle cake with mango puree, to a mouldy orange that’s actually liver pate with an orange glaze and meringue dust, Ben Churchill, 33, from Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, creates food that wreaks havoc with the taste buds. Initially going viral on Instagram for a soapy dish washing sponge – that actually was a delicious olive oil cake with a lime glaze and apple puree – Ben has continued to baffle his followers. In some of his latest work, Ben has created a used cigarette tray, a sponge and a dish washer pod made entirely from cake. – SEE CATERS COPY

“It might not be the day job but when I do make them, people appreciate them.

“If they can get over what they think it’s going to taste like, it makes people chuckle and they actually enjoy how good the desserts are.

“People are amazed – so amazed, that I’ve continued to share my recipes and how i do it into a second book.”

Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_5
(PICTURED- Edible cigarette butts for my ashtray pannacotta, made using mouldable chocolate and black meringue powder. ) -Image source: Magazinefeatures.co.za
Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_6
(PICTURED- Dirt and worms – Chocolate ganache stones, moist chocolate cake and a strawberry worm) Image source: Magazinefeatures.co.za
Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_7
(PICTURED- Apple bavarois, stewed apple filling with chocolate maggots. ) -Image source: Magazinefeatures.co.za
Chef creates bizarre meals that ‘mess with the mind’ – Would you eat these?!_8
(PICTURED- What looks like beans on toast is actually amarzipan beans on sponge cake, in an orange syrup.) -Image source: Magazinefeatures.co.za