Jesse Clegg honours late dad with heart-warming Zulu ritual_1

It’s been nearly a year since Johnny Clegg passed away but one thing is abundantly clear: his legacy has not been forgotten

His son Jesse took a moment to honour the late singer with a moving Zulu ritual.

Johnny Clegg was a very spiritual human being. He took the time to learn more about the cultures within different African tribes and was a better man for it.

Although his death came as a shock to many South Africans, his cultural footprint can still be felt on the country. One person who decided to carry on his legacy is his son Jesse, who took the time to take part in a Zulu ritual on behalf of his late dad.

Jesse and his family took the time to travel to a small village called Makhabeleni, in the heart of Kwa-Zulu Natal. There, he gathered a crowd of about 100 people to all do their part in helping him host a one of a kind spiritual ceremony.

In the Zulu culture, it is not uncommon to perform rituals for the dead, in the hopes that their souls may be guided in the afterlife, and that’s exactly what Jesse and his family travelled to KZN to do.

An emotional Jesse Clegg took to Instagram to write, “My family and I spent a beautiful weekend at Sipho’s homestead celebrating my father’s life and performing an important Zulu ritual for his spiritual crossing.

“I’d like to say thank you to Sipho Mchunu, Roddy Quin, The Mchunu Family and the community of Makhabeleni for their guidance, support and respect. My father was deeply connected to this incredible place, and to be able to commemorate and honor him here, surrounded by love and family, was very special for us.”

Jesse was hailed in his comments for taking the time to do something that would have certainly meant a lot to his father.

You will also notice that Sipho Mchunu, who led the ritual, is Jonny Clegg’s old band member and long time friend. He and Johhny formed Juluka, the first group in the South African apartheid-era to have a white and black man performing alongside one another.

Is it safe to say that Johnny Clegg would have appreciated this ritual?