Christian Siriano inspired by Birds of Prey for fall 20 collection_1

Christian Siriano was inspired by comic book film Birds of Prey while designing his latest collection.

The fashion designer unveiled his fall/winter 2020 line as part of New York Fashion Week on Thursday night, with the presentation drawing in the likes of Heidi Klum, Leslie Jones, Alexa Chung, Rachel Bilson, Alicia Silverstone, and Angela Sarafyan.

Regarding his influences, Siriano shared in his show notes that he was fascinated by the attitude of Margot Robbie’s character Harley Quinn in the recently released DC Comics movie Birds of Prey, as well as the costumes and overall colour palette.

“This season, I let my imagination run wild. I was first inspired by the film Birds of Prey where I took ideas of Harley Quinn running through a dark abandoned carnival fun house,” he explained. “This led to a mythical, gothic and artistic experimental collection. I even found myself looking into the Dadaism art movement of the early 20th century for ideas of sculpture, form, futurism and expression.”

To open the show, Siriano had a model walk the runway in a gunmetal grey jacket, striped black and gold trousers, and a leather choker with silver chain details. Alluding to Harley Quinn’s signature make-up, a black heart motif was drawn under her eye.

A parade of black dresses with silver embellishment followed, with some looks accessorised with dangly earrings and wide-brimmed hats.

At one point, the 34-year-old fashion star introduced pops of fuchsia and lime in the form of metallic dresses and two-piece suits, while he waited for the end of the spectacle to introduce a range of ballgowns with touches of ’80s flair, including a striking dress made from dark orange silk.

At the conclusion, Siriano offered up a line of red carpet-ready ensembles, including a gown made from pink and black tulle, with model Coco Rocha sporting a dramatic metallic gown with architectural shoulders and flared hemline to close.

© Cover Media