Anna Wintour predicts Little Women costume designer will win Oscar_1

Anna Wintour has predicted Little Women’s Jacqueline Durran will win the Academy Award for Best Costume Design on Sunday.

The fashion journalist, who has served as editor-in-chief of U.S. Vogue since 1988, is one of the most important figures in the industry and is constantly keeping an eye out for future trends.

For the latest instalment of her Go Ask Anna video series, Wintour was asked about the films she believed had the best costume and styling of late, and accordingly, she named Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Greta Gerwig’s Little Women.

“I have to pick two films, (where the Vogue team) felt the costumes were extraordinary. The first one would be Once Upon a Time in Hollywood – the costumes were designed by Arianne Phillips. The look of the movie, which was set at the end of the ’60s, early ’70s, was so like an Alessandro Michele show for Gucci, you could put the two side-by-side and you couldn’t tell the difference,” she said. “And then the other film where we loved the way it looked was Little Women, where the clothes were designed by Jacqueline Durran. It was set in the Civil War era, obviously very Victorian. If you personally wanted to be inspired by that look for yourself, you might want to look at Brock (Collection), or Erdem, or even Louis Vuitton.”

After a brief pause, Wintour continued: “If I was going to choose one, I’d say she (Durran) deserves to win.”

Phillips and Durran will be competing against The Irishman’s Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson, Jojo Rabbit’s Mayes C. Rubeo, and Joker’s Mark Bridges at the Oscars, with the winner to be named during the ceremony on Sunday night. Durran recently won the BAFTA for Best Costume Design.

Elsewhere in the conversation, Wintour also named The Farewell, directed by Lulu Wang and starring Awkwafina, and Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite as two of her must-see films.

© Cover Media