The ANC have issued a fierce statement on Wednesday afternoon. But they aren’t engaged in a battle with a political rival: Instead, they have moved to chastise Finance Minister Tito Mboweni, after he Tweeted that the party’s resolution to “nationalise the SA Reserve Bank” was a mistake.
Tito Mboweni vs the ANC on SARB
He made his opinions extremely clear online. Mboweni, who has only just returned from a self-imposed Twitter ban, stirred the pot big time on Tuesday by saying the ANC are wrong to hand ownership of SARB back to the public:
“As a long standing member of the ANC and its leadership structures, I know and understand our resolutions. I don’t need lectures on that. But on the SARB, I am convinced that we adopted a wrong resolution. As of now, 90% of the SARB profits are handed over to the National Revenue Fund: So what do we want to achieve?” Tito Mboweni
SARB drives a wedge between Cabinet members
After kicking the hornet’s nest, the swarm of controversy emerged from its hive earlier this afternoon. Tito Mbowebi has most certainly been stung, here – the minister is accused of creating “public spats without provocation”, and the statement suggests that “Tweet-o” was using the platform for public posturing:
“Comrade Tito should act with care and be cautious at all times on matters of policy. Unfortunate public spats created without any provocation feeds into the narrative of ‘uncertainty’. We therefore encourage members of the ANC to exercise their freedom of speech within the confines of the ANC’s structures.”
“Our NEC has already reaffirmed a resolution to return the sovereignity of SARB back to the people. We will continue to undertake the process towards full public ownership of the bank, in a manner which is prudent, affordable, and doesn’t benefit private shareholder speculators.” ANC statement
ANC latest – Tito Mboweni told to zip it
In what seems more like a gagging order than constructive criticism, Tito Mboweni has also been told that only the President [Cyril Ramaphosa] can make pronouncements on behalf of the governing party. The ball now remains in the finance minister’s court, and we’re eagerly awaiting his response to this internal beef.
You can read the ANC’s full statement on the SARB matter here:
@MyANC URGES LEADERS TO RESPECT CONFERENCE RESOLUTIONS AND TO REFRAIN FROM ENGAGING IN PUBLIC SPATS pic.twitter.com/IiW68yslBH— African National Congress (@MYANC) January 15, 2020