Charlie Sheen is selling the baseball he threw in Major League
The 54-year-old actor has enlisted the services of auction house Lelands – which sells off famous sports memorabilia – to offload some of his property, and as well as the ball, he’s also getting rid of the Cleveland Indians cap he donned in the 1989 movie.
The ball – which is signed by Charlie – has attracted 10 bids so far, with the winner currently set to pay $2,357 (R35 000) when the sale closed on Friday, 6 December while 17 bids on the cap have bumped its price up to $4,594 (R66 000).
The actor said of the lots: “It is my hope that whoever buys the cap and ball will get as much enjoyment from them as I did all these years.”
The Young Guns star is selling a number of other items, including a watch he wore in Platoon, a locker tag that previously belonged to legendary sportsman Babe Ruth, Don Larsen’s perfect game baseball, which is signed by the player himself, and a copy of The Old Man and the Sea, which is signed by its author, Ernest Hemingway.
The listing for the book reads: “Like a fine cigar, this fabulous edition of the classic The Old Man and the Sea was smuggled out of Cuba about 20 years ago. It is signed by Ernest Hemingway himself and was a personal copy in the possession of actor Charlie Sheen.
“The short novel was written in Cuba 68 years ago and published a year later in 1952. The story is set in that now communist nation and centers on a local fisherman named Santiago who struggles to snare an evasive marlin.”
Want a piece of Major League history? After years of having them preserved in a glass case, Charlie Sheen is auctioning off the cap he wore in the movie, along with the baseball he used in the climactic strikeout scene. Looking like about $5,000 for the cap, $3,000 for the ball. pic.twitter.com/c56K1l9ZQo
— Jonathan Knight (@jknightwriter) December 2, 2019
Meanwhile, Charlie recently admitted he had turned down a lucrative opportunity to compete on Dancing With the Stars because he didn’t think he was good enough
He said: “I was very flattered by ABC and their offer, but at the end of the day, I have two left feet and I just can’t dance.”
And Charlie’s publicist confirmed the former Two and a Half Men star could have landed a new show if he had taken part.
A source said: “When there is a big star like that, they will get some sort of deal for a pilot with ABC.”
His publicist confirmed: “ABC made a very generous offer [for a pilot series]. It was contingent upon his participation on Dancing With the Stars.”