SA Rugby chief executive Jurie Roux says there are a few issues that need to be ironed out before the Springboks are cleared to return to action.
It was confirmed earlier on Friday that the 2020 edition of The Rugby Championship will – in its entirety – take place in Australia in the international window of November and December.
Hurdles face Springboks ahead of return
However, South Africa's participation in the competition is a doubt, with several factors – including the suspension of international competition in the country – playing a role in tournament organisers, Sanzaar's tentative approach.
Roux has welcomed the announcement from the body, and stated that SA Rugby would address all that is required for a return to international competition in the coming weeks.
"We are pleased that the venue has now been confirmed and would like to commend Sanzaar and Rugby Australia for their work behind the scenes to make it possible," Roux. "We are very eager to see the Springboks return to play but there are still some hurdles to clear and we will be addressing those in the coming weeks."Jurie Roux, SA Rugby CEO
SA Rugby in race against time
Professional rugby players have been back at training for weeks, while contact training only resumed earlier in the month.
This is in preparation for a domestic competition due to take place in October, which will feature all four of South Africa's Super Rugby franchises, the Cheetahs, as well as two other unions.
Sanzaar chief executive Andy Marinos said the Springboks' participation in the Rugby Championship is reliant on a number fo factors.
"The Springboks' participation will be dependent on the relaxation of that suspension as well as overcoming a number of other logistical challenges including the opening of international air borders. South Africa is only expected to return to competitive play next month, leaving a relatively short time to prepare."Andy Marinos, Sanzaar CEO