South Africa's planned tour to the Caribbean has been placed on hold indefinitely, according to Cricket South Africa(CSA) chief executive Graeme Smith.
The Proteas were scheduled to travel to the Caribbean in July for two Tests and five Twenty20 Internationals (T20I). That did not go ahead as the West Indies made an impromptu stop in England for a three-match red-ball series.
West Indies tour postponed
Travel restrictions and uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have meant that the South Africans are unable to travel indefinitely.
Cricket West Indies chief Johnny Grave had earlier said he was hopeful of hosting the Proteas in September, subject to when the Indian Premier League (IPL) takes place. However, on Saturday, Smith revealed that the tour has now been postponed.
"We are struggling to find the time with the Indian Premier League, when our players are likely to be needed from the beginning of September," he told reporters.
"In terms of when we will get back onto the field, we are probably looking at November onwards. And if all goes well, it will then be a very busy period for South African cricket, playing series at times when we don't usually play.
"It will be a case of trying to cram in all the tours that have been missed."Graeme Smith, CSA Director of Cricket
Playing the waiting game
The Proteas last took to the field in an international match in March when they hosted a touring Australian side, playing three One Day Internationals (ODI) and as many T20Is.
They toured India soon afterwards, but returned without a ball bowled, with the COVID-19 crisis impacting sports events across the world.
The only bit of action South African cricketers have been involved in since then was an exhibition match held on Mandela Day.
Smith said not being able to hold games has severely impacted CSA on the financial side of things.
"We need to get our broadcast rights in, support from corporate sponsorship and get the right content (series) in place."Graeme Smith, CSA Director of Cricket