With 2 Or 3 More Signings, Manchester United Can Challenge Liverpool & Man City - Van der Sar

Former Manchester United goalkeeper, Edwin Van Der Sar, has stated that the Red Devils can start competing for top titles once again with the addition of two or more top players.

The former Netherland international have seen his former club struggle for form and consistency ever since former coach Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013. The team haven't tasted Premier League success since 2013, when the legendary Scottish coach led them to the title in his last season.

But situations have improved in the last few months, with the team playing well and confident again after the acquisition of the Portuguese midfielder Bruno Fernandez. The Red Devils embarked on an 11-match unbeaten run between January and March , which ensured that a top-four finish and silverware in both the Europa League and FA Cup will still be up for grabs should the season resume.

And Van Der Sar has now expressed his satisfaction that the team is exhibiting more consistency now.

"The honeymoon period [under Solskjaer] was great. Then they hit a rocky patch and I think the last seven, eight, nine weeks, they've been playing better football." The Dutch told CNN

"The points were coming in. They had some good results against good teams also.
"Of course, for them, I hope that the league is going to resume because they probably will need those Champions League places.
"I think the main thing for them is to focus on the next season and hopefully, with two or three additions, they'll be competitive again to Liverpool and Manchester City."

He also spoke about the current crop of players at the team presently, and how they can play a part in the teams' bid to win trophies again.

"Consistency, a winning mentality.
"Maybe they can solve what's going to happen with Paul [Pogba], is he going to stay?
"I'm sure that with [David] De Gea, with [Harry] Maguire, with Fernandes, with [Marcus] Rashford, with [Anthony] Martial, they have a good line, I think, in the middle.
"And besides that, they've also a lot of young players developing as always at United, so in that way, I'm positive for next season for them."

This post is currently not accepting comments.