Hong Kong Music Legend 'Uncle Ray' Cordeiro Dies at 98

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Ray Cordeiro, also known as "Uncle Ray," at the age of 98. Cordeiro, a beloved figure in the Hong Kong music scene for over seven decades, passed away at the CUHK Medical Centre in Hong Kong on Friday. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Cordeiro, whose full name is Raimundo Maria Cordeiro, began his broadcasting career in 1949 at Radio Rediffusion. By 1960, he had been appointed head of light music at Radio Hong Kong, which later became RTHK. Cordeiro continued working as a presenter at RTHK until 2021. He gained international recognition in 2000 when he was awarded a Guinness World Record for being the world's most durable DJ. His show, "All the Way with Ray," ran on RTHK from 1970 until May 2021.

Throughout his career, Cordeiro interviewed many notable musicians including The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Cliff Richard. In recognition of his contributions to the music industry, Cordeiro was honored with the Hong Kong Silver Bauhinia Star in 2020, an MBE in 1987, an Honorary Fellowship from the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts in 2012, and an Honorary Doctorate of Social Science from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2022. He was also presented with a lifetime achievement award by RTHK in 1997.

Hong Kong's Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, Algernon Yau, said of Cordeiro, "Dr. Cordeiro (Uncle Ray) made significant contributions to the broadcasting industry in the past 70 years and was held in high regard in the sector. He was the host of the longest-running radio program in Hong Kong, 'All the Way with Ray,' with great success. I would like to express my sincere thanks to Dr. Cordeiro for his lifelong contributions to the broadcasting industry, and extend my deepest condolences to his family. We will fondly remember him."

This post is currently not accepting comments.