Kim Kardashian Discusses Balenciaga Controversy and Cancel Culture in Podcast Interview

In a recent interview on the "Angie Martinez IRL Podcast," Kim Kardashian discussed the backlash she faced after the controversy surrounding fashion house Balenciaga's holiday campaign, which many deemed to be sexualizing children. Despite initially remaining silent on the issue, Kardashian eventually spoke out and denounced the ad, stating that she was "horrified" and "disturbed" by the images. However, she faced criticism for not immediately condemning the brand and for her past association with Balenciaga, for which she has been a brand ambassador and appeared in a separate campaign.

Kardashian explained that she wanted to take the time to research the situation before responding, but regardless of her response, she knew she would face backlash. "They're mad if I don't speak out, they're mad if I do speak out, and if I don't cancel. They're just mad that if you don't cancel someone in today's society then…I know people talk about cancel culture and how crazy it is, but it's still happening. And so it's never been my place," she said.

Balenciaga apologized for the campaign on Instagram on November 24, stating, "We sincerely apologize for any offense our holiday campaign may have caused. Our plush bear bags should not have been featured with children in this campaign. We have immediately removed the campaign from all platforms." Kardashian also expressed her appreciation for the brand's apology and stated that she was "re-evaluating" her "relationship with the brand."

Kardashian emphasized that she believes in personal growth and evolution, but that there is "absolutely no place or an ounce to even play with anything with children" and that "any sexualization of children...should have no place in our society." She added that as a mother of four, she was deeply shaken by the images and the issue of child abuse.

This post is currently not accepting comments.