Lasizwe Dambuza has issued a heartfelt video apology after he was accused of making a homophobic slur

The Instagram star and YouTuber was called out by angry followers after he posted a picture of himself wearing a wig and make-up with the caption 'if uSis Bhuti was a person'.

Fans took offense to the term, which they claimed is used to belittle black gay men.

Following the backlash, the star took to his social media to explain his actions.

Lasizwe apologises for homophobic slur

He said; "To me, I was making a joke like I always do…but I have offended some people with that post…such terms were used to make people feel small, they are basically derogatory.

"I've been called uSis Bhuti all my life, even now…the reason for me using that caption was solely for taking the power back.

"I was not being malicious or to try seek attention, and if it came across that way, I am really sorry from the bottom of my heart.

Watch the full video below.

I am sorry pic.twitter.com/GgLWchcSTH

— Lasizwe (@lasizwe) June 12, 2020

Fellow star Samkelo Ndlovu also courted controversy when she claimed Lasizwe's post was 'not that deep'

Tweeps called out the former Scandal! actress for 'speaking on behalf of the homosexual community'.

Hehake. Why are we being told by a straight woman that we're projecting?

Also if she's so confident in what she said, why did she delete? pic.twitter.com/usoeKca2qg

— Mpumz. (@Mpumz_N) June 13, 2020

Not heterosexual people telling us gays that what Lasizwe did is "NoT tHat DeEp" LMFAOOOO. pic.twitter.com/eoRtwk7kqE

— Valerio. (@TshepoSkyy) June 13, 2020

Samkelo Ndlovu said it wasn't that deep and that Lasizwe didn't need to apologise for that. Further said people are just projecting what the word means to them.

How is he to learn if the people whose validation he insists on these antics for keep ignorantly validating?

— Kagiso Phokane (@iamkagi_styles) June 13, 2020

She has since deleted her original tweet and rectified her words.

In a new tweet, she posted; "Lasizwe's apology wasn't meant for me. Ngaz'faka mina speaking from a place of privilege as someone who's never been called "sis bhuti" before. IT IS that deep if it's a trigger to someone….I'm sorry, I didn't mean to diminish anyone's experience with that word."

Lasizwe's apology wasn't meant for me. Ngaz'faka mina speaking from a place of privilege as someone who's never been called "sis bhuti" before. IT IS that deep if it's a trigger to someone./\r\n/
Ng'phaphile/\r\n/
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to diminish anyone's experience with that word✌🏾🌈❤️

— Samú (@SamkeloNdlovu) June 13, 2020